Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To the Rhythm of the Music

Moving your body to the rhythm of the music (some realizations from Paolo Coehlo’s works while writing the blog on Jaded)

I never thought writing Jaded will help me understand Paolo Coehlo’s writings. My friend introduced this awesome, marvelous, laudable, incredible Brazilian author two months ago. He wrote about teachings and learnings in life. Never had I been too attached with a story but his was like an arrow pierced in my heart. It made me stop… then sigh… then cry.

I have read three of his books: The Zahir, The Witch of Portobello and Eleven Minutes (still reading). Aside from the essence of life’s journey which you will find in all his books, one thing is common and it made me wonder. Three of which talked about dancing to the rhythm of the music. I really wondered why the author wrote about dancing with your heart and soul. In Zahir, he met a group in a theater whose ritual was dancing. They danced to the beat of their drum. People come to their place to share about their lives and in turn get responses and advices from the group. In The Witch of Portobello, Athena introduced a dance to her officemates and anybody she meets that uplifts and enlivens their body and soul. She too danced to the beat of her music, flowing and dancing freely with her soul. The Eleven Minutes, with Maria a prostitute as its character, also has the attribute of dance.

Dance… rhythm… body… soul… these words made me realized Paolo Coelho’s rhetoric compositions: searching that which makes you happy and living with it. When one finally realized what will make him happy, the body and soul moves freely to that feeling. Gratis. It is like a petal flowing freely to the gush of the river. Smooth. Free. Boundless.

0 comments: